The Greatest rematches of all time
Inspired by the previous article regarding the upcoming rematch between Andre Ward and Sergey Kovalev, I found myself thinking “what are my favorite rematches of all time?”. I have tried to narrow it down to my top 5. EnjoyHere are the top 5 rematches that lived up to the hype and excitement of the 1st contest:
5) Sugar Ray Leonard vs Tommy Hearns: although 8 years after their 1st legendary tussle the two kings came together once again for a fiercely fought contest which ended in a draw despite Hearns scoring two knockdowns.
4) Arturo Gatti vs Micky Ward 2: the 1st fight was the stuff of legends! The 2nd…another war! Gatti would take a unanimous decision and set up the rubber match.
3) Israel Vazquez vs Rafael Marquez 2: the first was a hellacious firefight which ended when Vazquez couldn’t continue through a badly damaged nose. The 2nd fight was fight of the year 2007, both fighters traded heavy punches and knockdowns before Vazquez halted his foe in the 6th round setting up a fantastic rubber match.
2) Evander Holyfield vs Riddick Bowe 2: the first fight is part of fistic folklore for the bombs these two detonated on each other! The rematch was a much more tactical affair. While although it was still a great fight it is synonymous with 2 words…”Fan Man”. Holyfield would win the rematch setting up a great rubber match in which the two warriors laid it all on the line.
1) Muhammad Ali vs Joe Frazier 3: although this is technically a rubber match, this is one of the greatest contest seen in a boxing ring. Having boxed a previous 2 bouts they knew everything about each others style, coupled with the fact there was genuine needle and contempt. This formula provided for a titanic struggle which Muhammad Ali prevailed to once again prove he’s The Greatest!
These are my personal choices,, what do you think? What would be your top 5?
Please feel free to comment and share